Monday, April 21, 2008

Movie Mondays - Sarah Marshall and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Watched two movies again this weekend. Probably would have been more, but Mrs Titan and I are trying to clean up the TiVo to make room for a vacation coming up in a couple weeks. There better be room to record everything we want to watch!

We watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It has been years since I have seen Raiders, but every time I watch it I am reminded of how great it is. We decided to go back and watch the first three Indiana Jones movies before May 22, when The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comes out. The movie came out a year before I was born, but I can only imagine how incredible it must have been to see in theaters. I'm sure I don't really need to review the movie for everyone, but I will say that my favorite scene by far was where Indy is in Cairo and the huge Arab man comes out swinging a sword. Just as we all get ready for a big fight, Indy pulls out his gun and shoots him dead. Classic.

As you all recall Forgetting Sarah Marshall was on my Top 5 films I am looking forward to list. It was the first one released and in fact everything but Pineapple Express is out in the next two months. Oh well, good for us! Well, this was the first film ever written by Jason Segel, the star, and I must say, it does not disappoint.

The story is pretty obvious from the trailer. Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell), an actress, dumps Peter Bretter (Segel), a musician. Peter is devastated, so to clear his head and try to move on, he heads to Hawaii. And, who should be there? Well, Sarah Marshall, of course, and with her new boyfriend no less. Romantic and uncomfortable hijinks ensue.

The overall film was pretty darn hilarious. Some of the plot was kind of easy to see coming from miles away, but I have to admit that about 15 minutes before the climax of the film the ending was really not obvious to me. This kinda surprised me with as many movies as I watched, but Jason Segel was really able to write something that felt real enough that it might not have that happy Hollywood ending.

What surprised me most about this film was the way Jason Segel was able to write the characters. Each character had redeeming qualities, and frankly, all of them were likable. Mila Kunis, who I didn't even realize was in the movie beforehand, almost had "quirky girl"syndrome, which is something I see a lot in romantic comedies. This is essentially the cute, odd girl, usually damaged in some way, who comes along and forces the guy to open up and come out of his shell while being almost perfect herself. This archetype always annoys me, probably because I met a couple of girls like that in the past and they are never the way they seem in the movies, the damage is real and is not fun to deal with. Thank goodness Mrs Titan came along. Ok...where was I? Right, Mila Kunis' character almost fell into this stereotype, but was able to avoid it in my eyes.

I really loved the side characters as well, especially Russell Brand, who played Aldous Snow, a sexed-up rock lothario and Sarah's new boyfriend who can and does sleep with anyone he wants too. I also really liked Paul Rudd as Chuck, the 44-year old surf instructor who has spent his whole life smoking pot and laying on the beach and really can't function in the real world anymore (as a side note, when Mrs Titan and I were in Hawaii for our honeymoon, there were guys like this, scary, but hilarious). I also liked Jonah Hill as the waiter who is not-so-secretly in love with Aldous Snow and Jack McBrayer (from 30 Rock) as the virgin on his honeymoon who hates and is terrified by sex.

Also, I really hope that someday they really make "A Taste For Love," Peter Bretter's Dracula musical using puppets. Yes, you read that right, there are scenes of the Dracula puppet musical, and really that is pure awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall this weekend too!

I thought it was a good movie and agree with your critiques.