Thursday, April 17, 2008

Guest Post: Everybody Loves Robert A. Heinlein

Well, I've been teasing the guest post all week, and now, here it is. Shockingly, I decided to request a guest post for a Thursday. As we all know (at least those of us who regularly read this blog), I have a hard time finishing enough books to fill my Thursday book posts. But, you're all in luck, because I found someone to write a guest post for me!

I am sure you are all dying to know who I got. Well, it's none other than my Mom! I know, you were all probably expecting somebody important and well known, right? Well, too bad, she reads more books than anyone I know, so I turned to her for a post. You all should know, she is the person got me into comics and sci fi, so technically this whole blog is her fault! So check it out, and leave a comment so my Mom knows how awesome she is!
___________________________________________________________

Tom asked me if I’d be willing to write a post on my favorite science fiction author and his impact on my life. I agreed to do it, but I told Tom that it would be really hard to fit it into only 800 words or so. I decided avoid reviewing specific books and focus on the impact of reading the whole body of work. So here goes.

The author is Robert A. Heinlein and he had a huge impact on my thinking and, therefore, my life. I started reading his books when I came across a copy of “Have Spacesuit – Will Travel” in my Junior High School library (it sounded like a corny title even then). That must have been in about 1965 and I would have been 11 years old. I enjoyed the book so much, I started looking for other Heinlein novels. I had soon exhausted everything I could find in the school library and the local public library, so it was on to the used bookstores. By the time I graduated high school I had read every one of Heinlein’s published books that I could find and was then required to await new publications, which I did with great eagerness until Heinlein’s death in 1988.

So why did I like these books so much? At the time I would probably have said that they were great adventures, in exciting environments, and that I learned a lot of science while reading them. All that is true. But what I would say now in hindsight is that they gave me far more than just an exciting read, and that what I learned went deep. Here are some examples of what I learned: I learned tolerance for people who are different; I learned that my cultural norms are not the Truth; I learned that women can be strong and smart and beautiful all at the same time; I learned that study is important and not going to a great school is no excuse for not learning; I learned the importance of critical thinking – get the facts; I learned that human beings should be capable of and competent at many different things (“specialization is for insects”); I learned that individual liberty is paramount and that we owe a duty to our fellow human beings; I learned that promises to friends must be kept; I learned that color, creed, social status, wealth, or education level are not the ways to judge others – behavior and principles are; and I learned that “there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch” (TANSTAAFL).

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that I would not have had the confidence to pursue an engineering degree in the early 70’s if not for the interest and passion generated by reading Heinlein for years. As it was, I did enter an Aerospace Engineering Sciences program (after crashing the “Father-Son Open House” with my Dad). I graduated with honors.

Much later, I went on for a Ph.D. in Strategy, Organization, and Management. I had passed my written comprehensive exams and was nearing the end of the 2-hour grilling that was my oral comprehensive exam. Near the end, one of the professors asked me what author had had the most influence on my thinking. I’m sure he was expecting me to say the name of some academic in the field. Instead I said, “This might sound strange, but the author who had the greatest impact on me was Robert A. Heinlein, a science fiction writer.” And I went on to explain how and why. I don’t think it was my reference to Heinlein that did it, but I passed comps with distinction!

I’d encourage anyone who likes speculative fiction to check out the works of Robert A. Heinlein. I have many favorites, including “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress,” “Stranger in a Strange Land,” “Glory Road,” “Citizen of the Galaxy,” and “Time Enough for Love.” Most of his books are still in print, years after his death. This is perhaps the most telling accomplishment of the first Grand Master of science fiction. Enjoy!

Here are some sites to check for more info:
The Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein
The Heinlein Society: http://www.heinleinsociety.org/




No comments: