Friday, April 4, 2008

Magazines

I mentioned in an earlier post that I spend a lot of time reading magazines. I read numerous magazines, and today I want to tell you what I read and why. See my old post My OCD for a reminder on how I read them and an explanation for why I am currently reading the November 2007 issue of Atlantic Weekly. And remember, I read all of these cover to cover, with just a few exceptions.

Entertainment Weekly
I read this for the reviews and previews of everything coming out. I can get an idea of good movies to go see, new books to read, or interesting TV shows that are on. This is the only magazine that I read right when I get it (eight month old movie reviews and TV listings are kinda useless).

PC Gamer
This is where I go to get all my PC Gaming news. At this point my computer is over four years old and upgrading is no longer a priority (stupid home-ownership!), so mostly I read it and dream. It has historically been my favorite gaming magazine.

The Atlantic Monthly
This is my "current events" magazine. Granted, I read it 7 months late, although, it is current enough and almost always interesting. It does seem to skew a little liberal (which can be annoying), but it is usually a good and informed read. I do wish they would bring back their fiction though, that was always a high point for me. Also, they once gave me a free media kit for a class when I asked and were very helpful, even though I paid them nothing and gave them no business. Very classy.

Mental Floss
My most favoritest magazine on this list. Ever issue is full of random and fascinating trivia, all told with a great sense of humor. Where else can you get a list of the 10 Tasty Tidbits about SPAM or The Shocking Truths Behind the Freaks of Coney Island? That's right, no where (well, maybe wikipedia, but that's not as fun).

National Geographic
I was a geography major in college, so this is always fun for me. It's nice to read about other places besides the US every once and a while, as I can get a little sick of the same old thing. Every time I am about ready to decide to drop this magazine, they come out with another stellar issue (you know, like about stars).

Popular Science
This is a new addition for me, but it is always fun. They focus on all sorts of great and interesting new technologies that I really enjoy reading about. If you have never checked this magazine out, do so. It is for the geek in all of us.

Geek Monthly
Okay, maybe this one is for the geek in all of us. This is another new addition for me, but it focuses on geeky things in pop culture (vs Popular Science, focusing on geeky things in science, obviously). This is kinda of like a monthly version of EW that focuses on things I care about (as opposed to Grey's Anatomy or Dancing with the Stars). Lots of geek fun!

Check these out when you get a chance and have a great weekend!

No comments: