Wednesday, April 30, 2008

TV - The Leftovers. Plus, a Shameful Admission!

A TV post. Huh. Well, I must say, I'm starting to get a little tired of TV. For the past week and a half or so Mrs Titan and I have been watching EVERYTHING we possibly could on the TiVo to free up some room for our pending 10 day vacation. Yeah, that's right, we've filled up out TiVo, what's it to ya?
You see, the TiVo is our friend. We can set it up to record every episode of a particular show that we like and just watch whenever we feel like it. Yeah, shades of my TV Addiction are coming back, but, thankfully, the TiVo has limited (albeit huge) space. So, what are the shows that I watch "on the side." These are shows that I like, but don't have to see every episode of. If I have to delete some to free up some room for the good stuff, I will. Let's look at some, shall we?
Ax Men
This is a fun show on the History Channel. I think it's a little like Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel, but I have not seen that show. Anyway, this show essentially follows four logging crews in Oregon as they cut and haul timber. It's really interesting to see how the four companies approach the business with different strategies, and to see how successful or not they are. There is also a sense of adventure and danger that plays out in every episode. Along with tons of bleeped cussing. Loggers!


The Universe
This is another great History Channel program. This one is really fun and interesting because they take really very complex physics and science and boil it down to the simplest basics using great metaphors to help morons like me to figure out what is going on. These metaphors, along with great commentators and some really neat animations and pictures make this a great show. The one unfortunate drawback to this show is the narrator. He has a really nice, soothing voice. This is a problem. Mrs Titan cannot stay awake for more than 10 minutes of this show and even I, myself, can get heavy-lidded at times while watching it.


Big Brother

There, I admitted it. I've exposed my shame. Please, keep the razzing and mocking to a minimum. I have watched way more seasons of Big Brother than I am willing to admit. There is something about this show that is very intriguing. It is interesting to see how people act while they are locked in a house for three months. I just wish that every once and a while CBS would cast someone with some redeeming moral value. Guess that just won't bring on the viewers. Also, I have to say, I usually watch this series in the summer when the rest of the shows are in hibernation, and I watched the most recent season because of the writer's strike. But, it's over now, so please forgive me.
Free Radio

This little half hour, improvised show isn't too bad. It has a very simple premise. There is an idiot who filled in at a popular LA radio show and the audience loved him so much that the station had to hire him on full time to host Moron in the Morning. Lance Krall is the improv genius behind this show and he plays the stupid moron main character. Each episode has about three celebrities (or semi-celebs) that Lance and his cohost, Anna, interview, much of the times with mixed results. Some of these episodes are just not funny, but every once and a while there will be a celeb who comes on and is fun enough to make this show work.

There are a few others that are just so-so shows that we tune into on a regular basis, but these were the ones that popped into mind after this long week and a half. I will say that none of the other shows I watch are as embarrassing as Big Brother. I wouldn't keep secrets from you.

Would I?

No comments: