Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Guilty Pleasure: Big Bang Theory

First, I have to say: new Flight of the Conchords album out today! Check it out! This makes me very happy.

Well, I have to admit something today. I am a really big fan of The Big Bang Theory on CBS. This surprises me as much as it does you, I mean this show is by the same guys who created and wrote for Roseanne, Dharma and Greg, and Two and a Half Men, bill Prady and Chuck Lorre. I could stand Roseanne and Dharma and Greg had some funny episodes, but I really don't like Two and a Half Men. However, I think these guys have really done something great with this show.

I will admit that I came to this show with low expectations. I mean, the creators did not have a great track record in my mind. But, it was on right after How I Met Your Mother, so I thought I would give it a shot. This show is a very basic sitcom. Just two uber-geek, physicists, Sheldon (Jim Parsons) and Leonard (Johnny Galecki) rooming together across the hall from a good-looking neighbor (Kaley Cuoco) that Leonard has a crush on but won't ask out. Honestly, it sounds kinda stupid.

However, there are two things that bring this show up to must-watch status for me: Jim Parsons' Sheldon and pure geekiness. While sometimes a little over the top, Sheldon is always fun to watch and steals every scene he is in. He is the ultimate geek genius who has no understanding of normal social interactions. He is like all of us, just taken to the extreme in his anti-social behaviors.

The geekiness factor is also a ton of fun. Most shows (sitcoms especially) that feature a geek character portray him as someone who literally cannot function in the real world, has no friends and no understanding of the real world (while Sheldon can occasionally seem this way, he is still a sympathetic character). The geekiness in Big Bang, however, is real. These geeks know real geek facts, they care about technology and geek culture. They are smart and even if they struggle socially, they still have friends and a real, believable place in their world as researchers.

Okay, one YouTube clip combining my love for Superman and crazy geek science that only this show can provide:


If you are a geek like me, you should check this show out, you will enjoy it.

No comments: