Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My First Adventure in Manga

Well folks, I read my first manga comic! Are you proud of me? Do you care? Is anyone there? Does anyone reading this even know what manga is? According to Wikipedia Manga is "the Japanese word for comics and print cartoons." More specifically "Manga as a term outside of Japan refers specifically to comics originally published in Japan." Well, so I guess I didn't actually read manga, I read "In the U.S., manga-like comics are called Amerimanga, world manga, or original English-Language manga (OEL manga)." So...close enough.

I picked up Mail Order Ninja by Joshua Elder, which was recommended by Dave Campbell over at Dave's Long Box (you will be missed by the way). I bought it only because it was cheap, at only $6, and I read a couple of comic strips in the Denver Post a couple of years ago by the same name, which I enjoyed. While it was cheap, about the cost of two standard comics, what I got was $6 of the funniest and awesomest comics I have ever read and at about the length of about four comics, this is quite the bargain.

It's a classic story, a young boy, Timmy, of course, is picked on by bullies at school, so he sends away for a ninja. Sure enough, the Ninja, Jiro arrives 2-3 weeks later to serve little Timmy. Timmy uses Jiro to defend against bullies and to generally make his life awesome. The writing is hilarious and non-stop fun. The book is really for all ages but can be seriously enjoyed by everyone.

Now, I don't have a scanner yet, so I am stealing some of Mr. Campbell's scans, because this comic really has to be seen to be appreciated.


Here's Timmy getting his brand new Ninja!


It's like the time I brought that puppy home:


This may be the best ad for toys anywhere ever!If you liked these, pick up this book, it is seriously all like this: non-stop funny and fun. Mail Order Ninja vol. 2 will be the next manga I buy and vol 3 is out in October! Joshua Elder is a great, witty writer and I hope he keeps it up. If all manga or "Amerimanga" is like this then sign me up!

PS. Dave, I'm sorry I stole your scans, but you quit blogging, so it's okay, right? Right?

No comments: