Saturday, May 17, 2008

Washington Trip Part 1

Well, as you know, Mrs Titan and I recently took time off of work to go to Washington and just have a great time. This is the first of many posts to show off some of the highlights.

We landed at SeaTac and headed straight to out hotel to check in and get our bearings. The first thing we see:
Cars! Traffic backed up all the way into dowtown Seattle. I still don't know why traffic was so bad on a Satuday afternoon, but we made it.

It was May 3rd, so I was anxious to see if I could find a comic book store to check out some of the free offerings of the day. Luckily, I was able to find one once we walked down to the famous Pike Place Market, where I found Golden Age Collectables. This is one of the biggest comic book stores I have ever been in (remember, I live in Colorado, not even in Denver). Anyway, Mrs Titan was very patient with me as I wandered around with my jaw dropped. They did have an odd Free Comic Book Day policy (at least I thought it was odd). You get one comic free and then if you buy something you get a second one free. That's it. As I understand it most stores will give people any number of comics to try to drum up some new business. Now, I kinda understand where they were coming from, as they are located in what is essentially a tourist mall, they may not be able to get any new lasting business from FCBD. Oh well, it was nice anyway. Luckily, Mike at my local comic shop set some aside for me so I could get some free comic goodness.

Pike Place is something different altogether. There are flowers everywhere. Mainly tulips (there will be more on tulips, don't you worry), but al kinds of bouquets. What was most amazing is that they are all so large, fresh and cheap. I saw great bouquets range from $5-$20. At that price I would actually buy flowers regularly. They were great!
Being from Colorado, seafood, expecially the fresh stuff, is not something we were entirely used to. There was fresh fish (and everything else) everywhere that the flowers weren't. We're talking crabs, clams, muscles, squid, and giant fish. The smells were pretty overwhelming, but they never got too bad.

That was about all we had time for the first day and it was back to the hotel to rest up for our next day in Seattle.
This was our view from our hotel room:

Seattle!

No comments: