Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm As Shocked As You Are!

It's been so long since I have written up movies that I have tons to talk about. I have seen nine movies since I wrote last a few weeks ago (not counting Iron Man yesterday) so I will be catching up for a while.

While we were on our trip we stayed at the Friday Harbor House. They have flat screen TVs with DVD players in the room and a pretty decent selection of DVDs that you can check out for free. It was great. So, I picked Galaxy Quest, which I hadn't seen in years and I remember liking. And Mrs Titan picked Amelie.

Galaxy Quest
This movie has a very funny high concept. Galaxy Quest is a Star Trek-like show where, 20 years after it has been cancelled and become a cult hit, the cast is kidnapped by aliens. These aliens have modeled their culture and technology on the show (which was beamed into space) and they need the cast to save them from an evil alien warlord.

A lot of this film is corny. It stars Tim Allen (who against all odds, I like and have liked since Home Improvement) and Sigourney Weaver, as well as Tony Shaloub, Alan Rickman, and a young Justin Long. I even saw Rainn Wilson (Dwight Schrute himself)! The actors are great and I enjoyed the film just as much as I remembered. There is plenty of humor, a little heart, and some bad special effects, but overall, this film is great. As I understand it, the movie itself is starting to build a cult following, which is kinda neat. I doubt it will ever happen, but I would love to see a sequel.

Amelie
Now, this one was the surprise. At first glance it appeared to be a cutesy French romantic comedy. Bleh. But, it wasn't. Well, it kinda was, but it was weird enough to be really good. It stars Audrey Tautou, as Amelie, an innocent french girl who decides to help people around her in any way she can.

I also really liked Tautou in A Very Long Engagement, which was also directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet (I think I like this guy). Huh, he also directed Alien: Resurrection. Maybe I don't like him, now I am confused and conflicted.

Okay, that was weird. Anyway, this movie is very quirky. There is a narrator who's sole purpose seems to be to describe every character's likes and dislikes. He speaks some of the most hilarious lines in the film. Here is the opening line, spoken by
the narrator:

On September 3rd 1973, at 6:28pm and 32 seconds, a bluebottle fly capable of
14,670 wing beats a minute landed on Rue St Vincent, Montmartre. At the same
moment, on a restaurant terrace nearby, the wind magically made two glasses
dance unseen on a tablecloth. Meanwhile, in a 5th-floor flat, 28 Avenue
Trudaine, Paris 9, returning from his best friend's funeral, Eugène Colère
erased his name from his address book. At the same moment, a sperm with one X
chromosome, belonging to Raphaël Poulain, made a dash for an egg in his wife
Amandine. Nine months later, Amélie Poulain was born.
Yeah, the whole movie is that way. Very dramatic, detailed, and bizarre. There is a lot of sex (15 women having orgasms in Paris at the exact same time!) Hi Googlers!, although it is treated in that carefree French way. The humor is very different and is something I very much enjoy. The adventures of Amelie are exciting and unique and tons of fun!

I expect this movie isn't for everyone. There are subtitles, which move very quickly and the bizarre humor and weird situations also strain the brain. However, the humor is unique enough to make this movie (along with A Very Long Engagement) very fun and memorable. I really truly hope Jeunet and Tautou make more films together. Even if they are French!

No comments: