Thursday, June 12, 2008

What is Brainiac? Or, This is Not a Comic Post

This confession will surprise no one, but I love trivia. Mental Floss is my favorite magazine. I soak up odd facts every time I hear then, and I usually spout them out to people if they start talking about something incorrectly. Every time Jeopardy is on, I have to watch it using the TiVo to prove to myself that I can get the questions right. I also have a one-a-day Jeopardy calendar, and every day I write the trivia question up on my whiteboard for people at work to play along. I forgot to write a question up one day, and my coworkers got upset at me! They want their Jeopardy. It's a good place to work.

When I first heard that Ken Jennings, the famous Jeopardy champion had written a book called Brainiac, I was not immediately excited. I mean seriously, isn't this guy doing well enough? He won $3,022,700 on Jeopardy, does he really need to cash in with some lame book about the show? I thought it was kinda sad.

Then I read some reviews. They were pretty glowing, and then I saw the subtitle: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs. I was surprised, I was intrigued. So, on a whim one day at a Barnes and Noble, I decided to pick up a copy. Now, I never really thought of myself as a trivia buff, and after reading this, I know I am not a trivia buff!

Jennings does talk about his Jeopardy experience, which was much more interesting than I expected. He is very humble and self-depreciating, which is a nice surprise after the title of the book. His Jeopardy story is really just in the background in this book, however, as the true story is about his exploration of the trivia world.

He visits the history of trivia, college bowls, pub trivia challenges, AJ Jacobs (oooh, meta), and, my favorite section, a town with a 54-hour, town-wide, radio-broadcast trivia contest. Ooh, Stevens Point, WI sounds like an awesome place! Jennings has an amazing way of writing about the trivia and, more importantly the people behind it. I loved the various stories of these trivia competitions and the people obesessed with them.

Jennings has a very addictive writing style and I didn't want to put the book down. His style reminded me of some of the best investigative journalism, of the likes of Mark Bowden, just a lot more fun and uplifting. If you like trivia, even just a tiny bit, check this book out, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. And, Mr Jennings, if you ever read this, please write another book!

No comments: