Wednesday, June 18, 2008

TV - When There's Nothing On

As we all know, summertime means less scripted shows, which directly translates into less fun shows airing on TV. So, what's an agoraphobic, pasty, TV-lovin' fella to do? Well, this pasty, TV-lovin' fella (too bad I'm not agoraphobic too!) turns to DVDs for his TV fix. Mrs Titan and I turn to numerous TV shows on DVD to get the good stuff. Over the years we have watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, the BBC version of The Office, Extras, Creature Comforts, and Home Movieson DVD, but right now we're on to something different.

3rd Rock from the Sun. This sitcom ran from 1996-2001 on NBC. I can't remember what night it aired on, but I remember truly enjoying this series as I went through high school. I didn't actually see too many episodes after the first season because it was but up against Star trek: Voyager and the Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was before I recorded everything, so I just skipped it.

Recently, I realized I could rent the series on Netflix, so I went for it. I thought I would check it out to see if it held up. Mrs Titan and I are currently on the fifth season of the series and are loving it!

"So, Tom," you're asking, "what the heck is this stupid looking show all about?" Well, rude reader, essentially, four aliens come to Earth in the guise of humans to study and learn about what it means to be a human. I know...deep huh?

But wait, it's better than that. The show is hilarious! While at first it seems silly and a little corny, this show is really a quite intelligent comedy. Many of the episodes take something that humans do, like paying taxes, and examines these acts from an outsider's perspective. Not only does this open our eyes to the silly things we do every day, but it also makes for some great comedy.

The aliens, also known as the Solomons, Tommy, Dick, Sally, and Harry are played over-the-top, but by great actors who truly make the parts and the characters work. John Lithgow is amazing. He has two Oscar nominations, four Emmys, a Golden Globe, and two Tony Awards. It is amazing to see this actor with classic theater training hamming it up on a goofy sitcom. He really brings up the level of this show. I understand he is still on stage in a show currently and I would love to see him live and in person. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is also great, and has appeared in a few indie movies since the series ended. I haven't seen any of them yet, but I look forward to them. His abilities really shine through, even on this kind of show. I've seen French Stewart here and there on various shows and he always looks a little funny to me after his career-making turn on this show. His character was never my favorite, but was an integral part of this show. Finally, I haven't really seen Kristen Johnson since 3rd Rock ended, but according to imdb.com she has a couple of movies coming up, so I hope they do well for her.

Also, I have to say, I love Jane Curtain! She is hilarious, and she is as good on this show as any of the aliens. If you like any of her characters on SNL, you will love her on 3rd Rock. Anyway, here's a little something for you, enjoy:

If you haven't experienced this show, check it out. Or, at least rent it! Do it!

No comments: