Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Professor's Daughter

I'm going to take a break from Showcase Presents: Superman this week to tell you all about a different kind of comic that I read this week.

Back around Christmas time I was looking to try to get Mrs Titan into comics just a little. She's a reader, but hasn't really seen much value in the ole funny books. Valerie over at Occasional Superheroine gave me a few tips and one of the books she recommended was The Professor's Daughter by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert.

What was Mrs Titan's reaction? "That was weird." Did you like it? "It wasn't bad just weird." I, on the other hand, really enjoyed it. I thought it was a lot of fun. Now, in her defence, it is a French book (conveniently translated, of course) about a Mummy and a young woman who fall in love in Victorian England. So, she kinda has a good reason.

Now, I thought this book was great fun! It has mummy's, poinsoning, pirates, murder, jail break, true love, and Queen Victoria gets kidnapped! There is plenty of humor, action, and beautiful artwork. I actually did laugh out loud a few times, which doesn't happen often for me when reading comics.

This was one of my first "graphic novels" that was more art than superheroes or pop work. I must say that I was pleasently surprised. It was quite different from other things that I have read, but it really did feel like its own short little cute comedy. I only have one small complaint. The book is only 80 pages long, 16 of which are sketches. The list price is $16.95. That works out to 21 cents per page. Now, I was able to get it on Amazon for only $13.00 so it wasn't too bad, but it still seems like a lot of money for a little amount of book. I was able to finish it in one sitting, and I truly enjoyed it. I will be looking for more of these independent and arty books.



I'll be back next week with more Superman! Well, unless I read something else I have to write about.

No comments: