Monday, June 30, 2008

Good News Everyone!

The new Futurama movie, The Beast With a Billion Backs came out last week, and it was the only movie we watched this week. And, truly, it's Futurama, so it's the only movie you need to watch. The movie was as good as the show always was. There are tons of inside jokes for those who followed the show (Pazuzu is back!), many secondary characters are back either in larger roles or in cameos and they are all a delight to watch.

This story is all about a rip in the fabric of our heroes' universe, connecting it to another, dangerous universe. Soon, tentacles begin to shoot out of the rip and take over the bodies of every living being in our universe. The Futurama crew must come to the rescue. Hilarity, and a bizarre universe-to-universe relationship ensues.

David Cross was great as a new, bizarre character, Yivo. Brittney Murphy played Fry's new girlfriend, and shockingly, she wasn't terrible as she usually is in most roles. I have to say that the movie wasn't quite as good as Bender's Big Score, and the ending wasn't as satisfying. That's not to say it wasn't good, just not quite as good as the last movie.

I doubt any of the movies will end quite as satisfyingly as the end of the very last episode, where Fry learned to play the Holophoner to show his love for Leela. That episode made me tear up, it was a perfect ending for the show.

But, thank goodness for the movies! I love them and I am so glad that Fox agreed to make more Futurama. I would love to see the show get picked up as a series, but that seems unlikely. There are two more movies coming out, the next in November.

For most everything I review, I put up an Amazon widget, but I am just as happy if you rent it to check it out. In this case, go buy it! I don't care if you go through my site, but buy this movie, and Bender's Big Score. It's the only way Fox will make more!

No comments: