Tuesday, March 4, 2008

TV - The Addiction

"Hello, my name is Tom and I'm a TV-aholic. I have been sober for 952 days."

That's right, I used to be a pretty serious TV addict (still a big TV buff, but not as bad). As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used to watch something between 60 and 80 hours of TV each week. I recorded shows on three different VCRs in my house, and had tapes that were specifically ordered so that I could watch everything in order (see My-OCD).

So, what did I watch? Just about every network program on TV. I watched dramas, comedies, procedurals, reality shows, and everything in between. I enjoyed most of the shows, but at least half of them I would only watch while playing a computer game or reading something while it was on.

I was always afraid of missing something, so I would have to tape everything. The completest in me did not want to find out the next day that I missed the mystery being revealed in the latest episode of Veritas: The Quest or the funniest new episode of Oliver Beene. What's that? You haven't heard of those shows? Well, that's because neither lasted more than 1 season, and in fact, Veritas only lasted 4 episodes. But, I watched them anyway, because they were on.

When I got married and a job, I realized I couldn't keep up with this demanding view schedule. I couldn't push Mrs Titan aside just to find out what happened on Black Sash (seriously, look it up), or sleep in and miss work just so I can stay up and find out who wins Joe Millionaire 2.

Well, I cut back quite a bit and I am doing great, Mrs Titan and I got a TiVo. We now have our favorite shows like The Office, How I Met Your Mother, Lost, My Name is Earl and others. We supplement these by watching the greats over and over on DVD, like Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Extras. Life is good and the addiction is kept in check.

But, please, please network executives, never let there be a Joe Millionaire 3, or my world may come crashing down around me.

Tomorrow: Books - AJ Jacobs

No comments: