Friday, March 21, 2008

Misc Fridays - Great Music

Last week I used Friday to discuss how XM Radio opened up my music world, today I want to share with you some of the music that I found on XM. No YouTube Videos this time, as I think I maybe have done too many lately, and I want this to be a blog that people enjoy reading, and I maybe overloading it with content. So, anyway, today I just want to link to some great music and leave it at that, enjoy the music and have a great weekend. I will leave these links up on the right hand side there, so you can go back and listen to them as often as you want.


Death Cab for Cutie
Death Cab has been around for about 10 years now. Their name always kind of freaks people out, but their music is much more subdued and melodic than the name may imply. I guess they expect violent screaming and such when I let them listen. According to wikipedia the name was taken from a song named Death Cab for Cutie that was used in the Beatles' movie Magical Mystery Tour. Huh, who knew? Blogging is so fun, you can learn so much. Anyway, the lead singer, Ben Gibbard has a very unique voice (he also sings in the band Postal Service), and it is recognizable (to me), and very comforting.


PS. They have a new album "dropping" May 18th!


Favorite Songs - Crooked Teeth, I Will Follow You Into the Dark, and Someday You Will Be Loved


Stars
Stars, a great Canadian band, has been around for 8 years. The lead singers, Torquil Cambell (awesome name!) and Amy Millan are both a part of Broken Social Scene as well as Stars. (I will have to BSS out!) Anyway, I have learned that when it comes to music there are two things I really like. The first is orchestration with rock stylings, and the second is when a guy and girl sing together. Just about every one of Stars' songs is a guy and a girl singing together. And their voices work so well together.


Favorite Songs - The Night Starts Here, Personal, and Calendar Girl


I'm From Barcelona
Ok, first let me say, this band is crazy. They are from Jönköping, Sweden and there are 29 members. Let me repeat that. THERE ARE 29 MEMBERS. They have a freaking choir in their band and it is awesome! They also use "clarinets, saxophones, flutes, trumpets, banjos, accordions, kazoos, guitars, drums, and keyboards among other" instruments in their music. They also sing all of their music in English. So, let's recap:


I'm From Barcelona:
  1. Not from Barcelona, but Sweden

  2. A 29 member band!

  3. Uses tons of weird instruments

  4. Songs all in English

  5. Pure Awesome!

Favorite Songs - We're From Barcelona, Treehouse, and Collection of Stamp

Nickel Creek

Nickel Creek is by far my favorite band on this list. Nickel Creek was founded in 1989 and decided to part ways in 2007. This band combines my two favorite things about music as seen above, orchestration (they have a mandolin, guitar, violin, and bass) and male and female singers (band members Chris Thile, Sarah and Sean Watkins, who are siblings). Their music has been called alternative, progressive, acoustic, indie rock, folk, and bluegrass, and it really is a mix of all of the above. If I were to put it in a genre, I would say pure awesome! Nickel Creek released five albums, and while I think the Nickel Creek was the best, and most pure, they all have something to offer.

Mrs Titan and I attended one of their very last concerts on their Farewell (For Now) Tour at the FolkWest Festival in Pagosa Springs and it was an amazing experience. Nickel Creek can perform! They were amazing, and the crowd in Pagosa went berserk. If they ever get back together, you owe it to yourself to see them in concert. In the meantime, check out their albums.

Favorite Songs - All of them. But, if I have to pick three...The Lighthouse's Tale, When You Come Back Down, The Fox, Sweet Afton, and Doubting Thomas (obviously). Oops, couldn't pick just three!

Go check these bands out! Enjoy!

No comments: