Friday, November 14, 2008

The Discovery Channel: Mythbusters

Well, after yesterday we learned that I have an undying love for the Discovery Channel by regularly watching nine of shows on that channel. And that's not counting the shows we watch just when they're on, like How It's Made. And the min-series, like Planet Earth.
So, what got me addicted to the Discovery Channel? Well, I would have to say that was Mythbusters. It was the first Discovery Channel show I watched regularly, and it led to my ongoing love of the channel. I started watching it 4 years ago when there was a marathon on while we were staying at the in-laws. For those of you not watching Mythbusters: what's wrong with you?! This is a show for everyone! I want you to set up a Season Pass or VHS cassette now so that you can watch it! I'll wait...
..., back? Okay, the show is really about Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, two special effects wizards who decide to test all kinds of myths to see if they are confirmed, plausible, or busted. After the first or second season they picked up some helpers, Kari Byron, Tory Belleci, and Grant Imahara to round out each epiode. These five have the coolest jobs ever. They get to build, blow up, destroy, and test everything!

There have been seven seasons and there don't seem to be signs of slowing down yet. They have moved on from pure urban myths to: movie myths, a ninja special, pirate special, the moon hoax, and other event episodes. Some of the more recent, and fun myths are: exploding fire extinguishers, catching an arrow in mid-flight, beer goggles (!), and sobering methods.
Even if the myths seem a little boring at first, each episode is a lot of fun, with Jamie, Adam, Kari, Tory, and Grant really adding to the fun. They really know how to have fun with each myth and really bring that excitement to the show. And, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the great narrator, Robert Lee. He brings a little bit of additional fun to the goings-on.

Anyway, if you have never seen this show, you really need to find it, and watch it. You will not regret it. It's fun for the whole family and you might even learn something too!
I think I will try to talk about some more of the Discovery Channel shows and why I love them over the next few weeks.

No comments: