Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Discovery Channel: Dirty Jobs

Last week I discovered that the Discovery Channel is apparently my favorite channel. I also talked about Mythbusters, my favorite Discovery Channel show. Today I get to tell you about my second favorite show on DSC, Dirty Jobs.

At first glance, Dirty Jobs looks like a show I would hate. It appears to be about a guy who goes around to try different gross jobs and show off the ick factor at each one. And, I guess technically, that is what Dirty Jobs is all about. But, it's also more than that. It stars Mike Rowe, who is one of the most literate, intelligent, and witty TV show hosts that I have ever seen.
Rowe got his big start narrating some of Discovery's earlier shows, and still does narration on a few. And he makes the show. He is the show. He is able to make anyone he visits like him almost instantly, from hippies building their homes with poo to hunters who clean and package their animals. They all take to him instantly and he gets along with almost everyone. The back and forth teasing is one of the best parts of the show, and is tons of fun.

I, personally, do not think I would care about Dirty Jobs if it weren't for Mike Rowe, it would get mundane quite quickly. Rowe, however, brings to the table his comedy (he was on an episode of one of my favorites, Dr Katz!! I have to look that up), and his cheerful (most of the time) attitude. He was even an opera singer for a while!

Anyway, I love this show and you should see it. Also, if you work a dirty (or semi-dirty) job, go let Mike know so he can keep making this show!

No comments: