Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Curse of Chalion

About a month ago my mom forced a book on me and said "This has to be the next book you read." Well, I was using a system (obviously) to pick my next book from my huge shelf of unread books after each one I finished and I tried to explain this to her. She told me to quit being silly and to just read this one next. It was Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion. I decided I better do it lest Mrs Titan and I be uninvited to Thanksgiving dinner.

I had never heard of Lois McMaster Bujold before this, but she is a science fiction and fantasy author who has won four Hugo awards for best novel (a Hugo is the most prestigious scifi book award there is). Well, I'm glad that mom forced me to read this, because it really was a fantastic book.

The Curse of Chalion is the first of Bujold's books set in this particular fantasy world. This isn't your standard fantasy world with elves and goblins and whatnot. There are only humans, and there is no magic (unless you count the acts of the gods). The world is fully realized, with its own hierarchies and political structures. The story of the curse of Chalion is all about these courtly politics, but it is a lot of fun.

We focus on the main character, Cazaril, who has just been released from slavery and is making his way back to his homeland. He winds up in a minor province where he earns himself a position as the secretary/teacher of the sister of the heir of a major nation. She the heads to the capital where the entire cast of characters get caught up in all kids of intrigue and adventure.

One of my favorite aspects of Bujold's writing is that the characters actually follow the rules of the world they live in. This sounds obvious, but so often in fantasy and scifi novels, characters act with values and characteristics of modern Americans. Bujold's characters are realistic, believable, and act as if they were raised and live in this world and even though we may not agree with everything they do, we understand them and understand why. It is refreshing.

There is not a ton of action, which is not a bad thing at all, the book was easy to read and felt very fast paced. Some of the theological discussions went a little over my head, but this did not take me out of the story at all. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good story, whether they llike fantasy novels or not. I look forward to reading the rest of the Chalion books and more of Bujold's writing.

There mom, I finished it. Now can we come to Thanksgiving dinner?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, you can come to Thanksgiving dinner. But you'd better read the next one soon as it's the one that actually won the Hugo (Paladin of Souls) and I know you'll like it, too!