Thursday, August 14, 2008

My "Company"?

Okay, so before I begin this post I think we need a little bit of context. I work for a company that is a spin-off from Hewlett Packard (HP). HP used to manufacture all kinds of electronic equipment before getting into PCs and printers. About 8 years ago HP split into two companies, one that stuck with the computers and printers, and the other that stuck with the other, less consumer friendly equipment.

I have been with my company for about two years now, but every other one of my teammates has been there for a minimum of 25 years.! They know HP. They love HP. They are HP. Well, you know...even if they aren't actually HP, and haven't been for almost 10 years. I have heard all sorts of stories about "the good old days" where people were given everything, and had a good healthy fear of managers and upper management. Things were good. Then they got bad with layoffs and everything else that the business world has gone through in the last decade or so.

One of the stories I was told was about a couple of guys who got into a fight about donuts. You see, everyone got donuts every morning at the morning break and one morning a guy took two. Another guy, who was late, got nothing. Therefore, start a fight, right? So, what does this have to do with pop culture?

Well, Company by Max Barry, is a satire about the corporate world dedicated to HP! And, it starts with a story about a man becoming furious over not getting his allotted morning donut! Perfect. I was really excited about the book as soon as I read that early chapter. Then...not so much.

Barry's satire is good, but it's always too over the top for me. There is plenty of opportunity for humor in the office place (see The Office), but Barry's work seems so extreme that it is hard to believe. Company tells the story of a young man, Stephen Jones, right out of business school and starting work at a company called Zephyr Holdings (yup, sounds like me). After a few weeks at Zephyr Jones begins to question what exactly they do, and no one can answer him. HR and Senior Management are shrouded in secrecy and no one seems to know what they really do. they other employees are like sheep and refuse to question anything.

About 100 pages in Jones learns the truth. At this point the story does start to pick up a little bit, and I will admit that it was quite readable til the end. But, it's one of those books that is a quick and easy read but slightly unsatisfying. I was hooked at the beginning do to the relatable story, but after that I couldn't continue to care as much as I should have. All-in all it wasn't the worst thing I have ever read, but not the best either.

No comments: