Friday, December 5, 2008

Mass Effect

Well, after about 30 hours of gameplay I finally beat Mass Effect. It is a pretty amazing game, and I have to thank Skoth (aka Mr Little Sis, a name which is apparently "weird" and not good enough, we wanted to be called "my brother-in-law", but that's stupid!) for letting me borrow it. It is the best game I have played in a long time.

Once you choose your sex, appearence, history, and character type, you go on your first, exciting mission for the Human Alliance marines for this innovative action role-playing game. This mission is, obviously, where you learn the basics of fighting and playing, and also where you become very important to the galaxy, by recieving visions from an ancient artifact. It is also where you get the first glance of the main antagonist in this epic story.

Once this mission is completed, you get to see the headquarters of civilized life in the known galaxy, the Citadel. This is your real introfuction to the galaxy. And what a galaxy! This game has one of the most fleshed-out and fully realized universe of any game, and even more so that many books, movies, and TV shows. There are multiple alien species to interact with, and all of them have their own history, culture, economy, religion, military, and alliances. If you spend the time to read all of the detailed Codex logs, you will learn everything you could ever want to know about this universe.

I spent at least six hours on the Citadel, doing different missions, shopping and learning everything I could before finally setting out into the galaxy. Once you take command of your own ship, you can choose where to go and what order to perform the main story missions. I, of course, wanted the broadest experience of the game, so I did every side mission I could before attempting the first story mission. These were great. Basically, you pull up in a solar system, and get to explore. You can survey planets and read details on the history and composition of these systems. Almost every system also has a planet that you can land on and explore in your dune buggy/tank, the Mako. This is great fun! There is a mission on almost every planet as well, and they are not all the same, there are a variety of mission types and objectives.

As you go through the missions, you are able to make choices. These choices generally fall into two categories: Paragon Renegade. For my first playthrough, I went straight Paragon and I had a great time. The characters were believable and interesting, thanks to some fantastic voice acting, and the choices seem to make a difference in the outcome of the game. I have evern decided to replay as a Renegade to see if this is actually true.

I truly loved this game, and enjoyed every moment of it. I only wish that there were a few more story missions (there were only 5, but were about 2-4 hours of gameplay each) and that it was a little longer. This is a universe I would revisit in a second and I can only hope they are making a sequel. Oh wait! I might even consider reading a Mass Effect novel (!). Anyway, check this one out, and enjoy! You can get it for only $25 at Amazon!

No comments: