Friday, September 12, 2008

The Events

Reading comics blogs leads me to many complaints about comic events. You know, Infinite Crisis, Civil War, Final Crisis, World War Hulk, Countdown, Secret Invasion, all of those. Most readers seem to really not like these events and complain bitterly about them and then someone will make a comment that if they don't like them they should stop buying them.

Well, the comic book companies are smart. They know that we will buy anything to keep our collections complete, to get the whole story, and out of habit. We are creatures of habit and OCD, and that's okay, it also makes us loyal.
I, for one, happen to enjoy these events. I liked Civil War and World War Hulk, and am still enjoying Secret Invasion. I have fun watching how one event affects all of the characters in the universe. I like watching the characters interact with each other in a way that is not all that contrived. I like the fact that these events are, for the most part at least, world changing events. Now, I have only been reading comics for about two and a half years, so maybe all these changes will be slowly reversed. I don't know yet.

Now, I first started reading modern superhero comics by following an event, Infinite Crisis. I had no idea what was going on and quickly got lost and confused. I didn't know what was happening and I didn't realize that other books were tie-ins. I was brand new to the industry. I also saw a comic covered in characters I recognized, the New Avengers. I liked that one. I understood it even though I missed the Avengers: Disassembled and House of M story lines that came previously (and still, by the way, play a part in the Marvel Universe).

I was quickly hooked with the Avengers and began to see the ads for Civil War. I decided to check it out and tried to pick up the tie-ins, which got me hooked on some of the other characters. It was great fun. I wanted to find out what happened and I enjoyed every bit of it. It was a great introduction to most of these characters.

But then...shortly after, World War Hulk started, which involved all the other characters. And, a few months after that, Secret Invasion! Ah! I like these stories, but they are coming too fast. I understand why, we are spending money on them and buying them. But, I would love to see a break in events so people can recover (both financially in the real world and physically/emotionally in the Marvel U).

I realized these events were coming to quickly while reading the most recent issue of Ms Marvel that I read. A giant skrull was about to knock over a building in Manhattan and people were fleeing and Ms Marvel was trying to rescue them. Have you seen Civil War and WWH? Are there even any buildings left standing in Manhattan? Why would people go back there. Give the poor city a break Marvel. Let us really believe things are recovering or at least make the Universe believable, even though it would be depressing.

I know Marvel makes money, but there has got to be a way to spread these events out a little more. Maybe some smaller events spread out over only a few of the characters every year, and a big, line-wide event every three years or so. It would make more sense in the Marvel U and be easier on customer's pocket-books, while still allowing money-making events to be on-going.

How do you all feel about Events? Are they worth it? Do they add value to the Universe and characters that you love?

No comments: